Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Welcome to Against The Crossbar

Welcome to my new blog “Against The Crossbar”. This is a first for me, though I am a regular reader of Australian Football Blogs, this is the first time I have made the next step to actually producing some content myself.

I should start with a little about myself. I have not been a football fan all my life, growing up in central Victoria, my sports of choice, as with most young males there, was Australian Rules and Cricket. Although I did catch the occasional FA Cup on the TV, where my earliest memories were watching Tottenham win back to back Cups in 81’ and 82’ (this of course forever made me a Spurs fan). As a result I had only a fleeting exposure to the game in my early years.

Moving to Melbourne for university awakened a greater interest in the world game. Being surrounded by many fans of the game allowed my understanding of the game to expand. I have great memories of staying up very late during the 1990 World Cup cheering a poor performing Scotland on (though the 2-1 win over Sweden was celebrated with many cheers and drinks). I remember the disappointment of losing to Argentina in 93’ and like many thousands of others I was on the verge of tears at the MCG in 97’ when we came so close. By the time 2001 rolled around I was an avid follower of the Australian team at least and I did shed a tear with Tony when we were knocked out.

I cannot express fully the joy of the 2005 qualifying campaign and 2006 World Cup. I wished I had gone to Germany but being a new Dad at the time I felt my place was at home. Instead I watched all of Australia’s games as well as many others at home and at Fed Square.

My interest in football unfortunately did not extend to the local competition. I tried to get interested a few times but could never make a connection with the teams. I was excited in the late 90’s when the NSL tried to change the comp to appeal to the more mainstream supporter but still it left me feeling an outsider.

When the A-league was announced as a replacement for the NSL I truly felt for the first time that this was a competition I could support. I have been a Melbourne Victory supporter and member ever since, hardly missing a game. The league is still raw no doubt but the signs are good and I am looking forward to the fourth season with much anticipation.

I have started this blog because I truly believe the more people who write about this wonderful game the more it will grow and evolve in our sunburnt country. We have a long way to go, football in this country has always had to fight for space in the hearts and minds of the public. With a hostile press and other strong football codes that are quite happy to watch the world game falter it is sometimes hard to believe we have came so far in the last 3-5 years.

So over the coming weeks, months, years I hope you will enjoy my musings on the world game. I will try to concentrate on the Victorian and Australian scene but no promises, who knows where my interest will wander.

Cheers
Brendan

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, hope your blog takes off!