Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Lot Can Happen In A Month

Its been just over a month since I last put fingers to keyboard and tapped out a paragraph or two for this blog and a lot has happened in that time. Crowds continue to be a major talking point and I was very pleased to see Gold Coast and Brisbane take steps to reduce their ticket prices and make them more affordable for the general fan.

On a more disappointing note, yesterday morning saw confirmation that Brisbane have sacked Frank Farina as a result of his second drink driving charge while in charge of the team. Unlike Clive Palmer I wouldn’t presume to give advice to Frank regarding his drinking habits but I do believe Brisbane have acted correctly.

But the biggest talking point by far has been the Socceroos and their matches against the Dutch on the weekend and the win against Oman last night. I watched the Dutch match on TV and have read a few of the reviews, the best being Tony Tannous's assessment.

The thing I find the most interesting is the change in the media’s expectations from 4 years ago. Back than a draw against a quality team like the Netherlands would have been acclaimed as a major achievement with only scant focus accorded to the way we played. However times have changed and it seems we now seeing a much greater emphasis on how we play not just the result.

Similarly with the match last Oman, which I attended (one of the few it seems) the media seem more interested in how we played than the result. Overall this can only be a good thing for the development of the game in this country. As the spotlight is continually focussed on poor performances and lack of technique by our top players is exposed we should see more and more coaches looking to develop players rather than grind out results.

In this regard the FFA must stay true to the path they have adopted. Not only continuing the focus on SSG games and the 4-3-3 tactical structure, that encourages technical player development, but also widening the program to include grassroots coaching (a area that I still feel hasn’t seen the overhaul that is desperately needed) and the elite programs (which still seem to tied to the state associations).

It is going to take at least a decade of reform to see results. Right now across the country 6-10 year olds are receiving a football education like none before them. I suspect looking at the ages of the current first team Socceroos we are heading for a period of lean times, so hopefully that period can be shorten by the changes that are occurring now.

4 comments:

wes said...

Reducing the prices is a good start. I think the prices have to be comparable with other codes.
On another note I am keen to see how Brisbane will perform from here.

Hamish Alcorn said...

Can't agree with you about Frank's sacking. In what way does it help anyone at all?

I'm not saying drink driving is wrong, and indeed Frank is being punished according to the law, which is quite severe.

There are lawyers, doctors, journalists and politicians who have been done for drink driving and continue in their employment. Frank's a football coach, and a good one.

And please hold the 'role model' crap. I've drilled into my 14yo son that 'role models' will, without fail, disillusion you. Watching and making judgements for yourself is the only reliable way to build character. Meanwhile the world is full of the harsh reality of flawed humans, including ourselves.

Woo the Christian moralist crowd if you like, but I think you'll find its the hedonists who are the fan stayers, and we are being alienated more each week.

I did a private boycott of the Gold Coast game and on Saturday against the Mariners I wore black with no scarf. After that I'm abandoning the boys team for now. I couldn't even be bothered following the score.

The Board have lost the plot, or they did a long time ago and I just noticed.

againstthecrossbar said...

Hamish
I can understand your frustration and if this was a first offence I would fully suppoprt your view.

However this is a second offence and I am not sure what line of employment you are in but if I turned up to be place of employment drunk I am sure I would also be sacked.

As a leader of a professional sporting club I think its unaccpetable for Frank to be not only drunk while driving (caught for the second time so how many other times wasn't he caught) but to be drunk on his way to a club training session.

The club is 100% correct in removing him, the sooner the managers of our A-League clubs come to the realisation the standards that are expected of them the better for not just the League but the sport as a whole.

Hamish Alcorn said...

I'll agree to disagree with you about that Brendan.

Let's just hope the lads surprise us tomorrow night.

Cheers.